Thursday 8 November 2007

Bus #84

Part of the reason I love living in the 17th is that we're on a couple of good bus routes. There's the quick and efficient 92 that takes you to the Arc de Triomphe in just a few minutes, and across the river to the American Church and American Library in just a few more minutes. Actually, the American Catherdral is also on this line. It's the all American line.

But, I have to say, my favorite remains the 84. It is etched in my memory from 20 years ago. Back then, passengers could go to the back of the bus and through a little door which enabled one to ride in the open air. I thought this was the greatest ever. I loved riding past the rows of pruned trees while smelling the fresh air of autumn or the rain of Spring.

Number 84 travels past the beautiful Parc Monceau, down the grand boulevards with major shopping. I'm not a big haute couture shopper, but it is exciting passing all the fancy shops and boutiques. Number 84 continues past the Madeleine and the Concorde and over the river Seine, with stunning views all around. It ends up at the Sorbonne after it passes the Jardin de Luxembourg, a huge scenic and peopled public green space. The whole route is an incredible sight. And just steps from our apartment!

No comments: